The rising concerns of gluten allergy in children have been a worrying thought for many parents, causing them sleepless nights. According to the research findings, about 5% of children suffering from food allergies and sensitivity to gluten, are prone to allergic reactions. This is one of the primary reasons behind their lack of good health. Gluten allergy or the celiac disease gives rise to a number of intestinal problems. Before you read on, be sure to check out, what is gluten.
Gluten allergy is a condition where the child finds it very difficult to digest essential nutrients. As soon as the child absorbs the products containing gluten, the intestinal lining is attacked, which hinders the digestion and absorption process in the body. Unlike other kinds of food allergies, it is not possible for you to outgrow gluten allergy. Once diagnosed, children are advised to thrive on gluten free diets.
Some of the common types of gluten allergy in children are as follows:
– Since it is the intestinal track, which is mainly affected by gluten allergies, children suffer from bloating, abdominal pains and continuous cramps in their stomach.
– Some of the serious implications of gluten allergy may also result in weight loss, retardation of the normal rate of growth and development.
– Feelings of nausea and vomiting tendencies are commonly associated with these kinds of food allergies.
– Constipation, diarrhea, and stools with foul smells.
– If the deficiency persists for longer periods of time, the child may even suffer from iron deficiencies.
– Due to malfunctioning of the digestive system, the child may become weak, frail and may even suffer from deficiencies of vitamins and minerals.
– Intestinal tract disorder and digestive ulcers, sore throat and infection in the mouth can result in serious implications.
Gluten allergy in children can also affect the mental capabilities of children, which leads to autism. There is no scientific proof behind it, although the gluten free diets are known to bring about significant development among the children. Some of the mental disorders, which are commonly manifested among children, include the following:
Attention deficit disorders
Feelings of irritability and depression
Hyperactivity, poor organizational skills are very common among children suffering from gluten allergy
Does your child have Gluten Symptoms:
Parents are advised to immediately seek medical help from a pediatrician if they notice any of the symptoms in their child. This is important, as the pediatrician will need to examine the child. Regular check ups will help the doctor monitor the symptoms well. Make sure that you are abiding by the dietary recommendations laid down by the doctor. With proper care, you can expect marked improvement in the overall health of the child.